KGODISO PROJECT – A R50 MILLION BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Kgodiso Project’s objective is to empower up to 50 potentially scalable businesses across all five of the beneficiary communities.
The timeline for the project is to launch in October 2022 and to run for the next 12-36 months.
Businesses applying for the Kgodiso Project will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The business must be primarily operating in one of the beneficiary Municipalities namely,
- Gamagara Municipality
- Ga-Segonyana Municipality
- Joe Morolong Municipality
- Tsantsabane Municipality
- Thabazimbi Municipality
- The entity must be a registered business with CIPC documentation and valid tax clearance certificates.
- Both operational and start-up businesses will be considered.
- The entity must agree to enter a business management training programme or related programmes as per recommendations from SIOC-CDT’s assessment panel.
- Must be at least 51% black owned by South African citizens;
- The applicant must be a full-time employee of the business;
- The entrepreneur must demonstrate how the support will lead to its growth in a sustainable manner;
- The business must demonstrate how the programme will enable it to trade outside of mining industry;
- New permanent jobs should be created.
A maximum number of 10 (ten) businesses will be selected in each municipal area. Innovative business ideas are welcome and the entrepreneur’s aptitude, attitude, self-motivation and skills will be assessed via a psychometric-type questionnaire.
The support provided to the selected participants will be needs-based and can include both a financial and non-financial element.
The final support provided however will be determined by the needs of each business. Over and above a financial grant or loan in support of each businesses’ growth, the non-financial support provided, in conjunction with SEDA, NYDA and other development partners will focus on several areas.
These areas include:
- Market and feasibility studies
- Business planning and advisory
- Technical skills
- Licenses and permits
- Training and educational support
- Psycho-social support
- and any other interventions needed to increase market share, create access to new markets or generally assist with business growth.
KGODISO PROJECT UPDATE
SIOC-CDT's primary goal is to implement sustainable socio-economic initiatives through partnering with key stakeholders to ensure that beneficiary communities have sustainable income and are empowered to thrive beyond the lifespan of the mine.